SBS Bank is a bank operating nationwide and providing banking, insurance, financial and property management services.
When it was initially founded in 1869, SBS bank was originally called Southland Building, Land and Investment Sociecty. Fast forward to somewhere around 1876, it was renamed to Southland Building and Investment Society and Bank of Deposit.
Bring it up to 1995, and the official name of the bank become SBS Bank.
As at 2016, the bank operates 16 branches around New Zealand. Mainly focusing on areas on the South Island, such as Christchurch and the head office location of Invercargill.
The bank employs over 280 people, serving customers in 14 branches across New Zealand, from Invercargill to Tauranga (and also in 3 HBS Bank branches in Hawke’s Bay).
Unfortunately, SBS Bank does not have a SWIFT code.
SBS Bank services
Financial and banking services that SBS Bank provide include:
- Cash passports and foreign currency accounts
- Everyday banking
- KiwiSaver and term deposits
- Home and personal loans
- Agribusiness and rural loans
- Insurance including:
- Income protection
- Critical condition
SBS Bank Contacts Details
Head office address
51 Don Street, Invercargill
9810, New Zealand
PO Box 835
- From New Zealand: 0800 727 2265
- From overseas: +64 3 211 0700
Lost/Stolen Credit Cards
- From New Zealand: 0800 727 2265
- From overseas: +64 3 211 0700.
Mobile Mortgage Managers
- From New Zealand: 0800 727 456
Whether you choose to use Internet Banking or our Mobile Banking app, you can manage your money anytime 24/7 from anywhere in the world.
- Set up and manage your own payees and payments
- Make several payments at once through our multi-payment feature in one easy transaction
- Make a funds transfer, set up an automatic payment, a bill payment, a one-off payment or regular payment
- Make quick transfers between the accounts you use most often
- Make IRD payments quickly and easily
- If you have signing authority on another account you can authorise each other’s payments quickly and easily once you’ve both contacted us to set you up
- For additional security, you will receive a payment code to your registered mobile number which you will need to enter to authorise the payment.
Managing your accounts
- Personalise your accounts with nicknames
- Easily contact an SBS team member via secure mail
- View your account balances, summaries and transactions
- Receive notifications for important events on your accounts
Statements and alerts
- You can view and print transactions or statements
- Decide how you’d like to receive statement; in the mail, email or online
- Receive free text message security alerts
Online banking security information view the Security page
Your privacy is important to us. Our Privacy Statement is available to view in section 8 of our General Terms and Conditions by clicking here.
With SBS Bank’s Mobile App it’s even easier to do your banking on the move. Available to download from the App store or Google Play to your Smartphone.
You must be registered for SBS Bank Internet Banking and have supplied your mobile phone number to us before you can register for the Mobile Banking app. Then simply install the SBS Bank Mobile Banking app by downloading it onto your smart phone. If you are not currently registered for Internet Banking, please pop into a branch or call our Contact Centre on 0800 727 2265 and we’ll get you up and running.
- Open the App
- Select “Register”
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- Enter your Member number and password (for internet banking)
5.You will receive a text message containing a special code. Enter the special code when prompted
- Select “Continue”
- Choose and confirm a 5-digit security PIN
Then you can either choose to navigate through the tutorials or skip them and come back to them another time. Then you’re ready to get started! Happy Banking!
Mobile app update – Dec 2019
The mobile app for both Apple IOS and Android has been updated. If you have chosen to have your apps automatically updated, it will happen automatically. Otherwise it will change when you update the app.
The changes are mostly cosmetic with amendments to:
- viewing payees;
- adding and removing payees;
- making a payment;
- viewing transactions.
When you open it for the first time, users will be offered a visual tutorial to explain the key differences.
But here are some FAQs that may answer any questions you may have. There is also a video here that highlights the main changes.